Monday, February 6, 2012

Peanut Butter goes with everything…


We’ve been trying to keep up with eating all of the vegies we get from the CSA (Community Supported Agriculture), which when you get 7 big bushels of greens and some radishes it can be a challenge to eat it all in a week. I’ve become aware of just how restricted our diets have really become when I’m lucky to know the name of 2 of the 7 greens, it’s led to some adventures in cooking, that’s for sure.

We’ve always had a pretty high value diet, but with the CSA, the quantity of vegetables we’ve been trying to eat in a week has increased. When buying from the store, you’ll buy variety versus quantity, but investing in the CSA is a commitment to eating with the seasons, eating what can be grown locally and usually getting a lot of one kind of thing.    

We’ve been making soups and throwing in whole bushels of greens. The plus is that if you have really strong tasting greens then the taste is mellowed out by the boiling, the minus is that you lose out of a good chunk of the nutrients. I had some success with making a stir-fry and including a bushel of greens, but as the months have passed I have to admit I’ve gotten a little over confident. The other night I decided to make a stir-fry with mustard greens, radishes and a couple of potatoes we has left over from the week before. I threw in garlic (something we store buy) and then proceeded to throw in the rest of the ingredients. Our big discovery with cooking vegies is to throw in something rich to make it a more filling meal (so you’re not getting hungry later). This can be things like coconut milk or peanut butter, and what doesn’t go well with peanut butter!? Umm, well apparently mustard greens. My partner and I laughed as we tried to chew and swallow the think prickly leaves of mustard greens. The peanut butter was like the disappointing lollypop after the doctor gives you a series of shots. It did not make it into the culinary masterpiece I had hoped for. So, I guess peanut butter doesn’t go well with everything... Let me know if you have a good recipe for strong tasting greens. We could use the advice. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment